Monday, November 24, 2008

Youthful Petulance

While I solidly attribute the downfall of the GOP to inevitable hubris following from lack of opposition, I'm also starting to get under the impression that the depths that they have sunk follow from a lack of willpower to take life seriously. Andrew Breitbart, everybody (*applause*):

The future of the Grand Old Party needs to be dangerously youthful, devastatingly attractive and outrageously fun.

Throw the liberal baby boomer bums out. And let's elect to higher office some good-looking, freedom-loving Net Generation babes. Face it: Democracy needs a face-lift and a youth movement. (I'm from Los Angeles, what can I tell you?)

These people just handed us off from a hobbled one-party nation without serious issues to a hobbled one-party nation (but different party) with deadly-serious issues. And the GOP needs to get fun again?

I have to say, I find this weird. I'm surrounded by twenty-somethings who have this traction with reality that I don't see in the media, those twenty-somethings just took over a large piece of the constituency, and the Republicans have failed to absorb any of it. They really did kick all the buzzkills out of their frat-house kegger just before the house came down, didn't they? Amazing.


No comments: